And Inspite of Every Turn.........

we'll be just fine, we'll be all right

Friday, October 14, 2005

Why don't you close your eyes?

He lies there staring at us, eyes darting around the room. He mostly focuses on the corner. I ask him what is there and if he sees something. He moans in response or just stares at me.
Why doesn't he close his eyes? I wonder if he is afraid. What is he thinking? If I close my eyes will I be able to open them again? - That could be scary.

Please Dad, don't linger. Just go, please. We understand and we don't want you in pain. It will be ok. We'll take care of each other, we promise.

Each day I watch my father's skin sink more, tighten around the face. I see his heart beat in his chest. He no longer eats or drinks. I no longer talks, but moans when he gets the energy. He cannot move on his own, except to move an arm or blink. He has been running a fever. Perhaps the fever means something. He's up to 105. That cannot be good. I realize this and when I realize it I start to cry. Otherwise I can keep myself distracted with staying strong and trying to be funny. I'm breaking down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home